As life unfolds and responsibilities mount, take time to prepare for the unexpected. Here are three sound reasons to have this group Accidental Death insurance (AD), available exclusively to alums, now:
- Financial Obligations Do you have credit card debt, auto loans, or student loans? Your AD benefit can be used to help pay off debts and reduce the financial burden on family and friends should the unthinkable happen.
- Funeral Costs The average funeral costs over $9,000.* This can present a financial hardship for most families. AD can also be a welcome source of funds for other final expenses, which may not be covered by your health insurance.
- Protecting Your Future Insurance from your employer doesn’t follow you from job to job—that is if your employer even offers coverage. Your status as an alum will never change, so your insurance can stay with you, no matter where you go.
*National Funeral Directors Association (NFDA), 2020
What is Accidental Death Insurance?
Accidental Death insurance (AD) pays your beneficiary if you have a covered accidental injury that is the direct and independent cause of your death within one year of the injury. This payment is in addition to any life insurance you may have. AD covers you 24 hours a day, every day of the year, worldwide. There are no health questions to answer, and your acceptance is guaranteed.
Who should have AD?
AD is for people who are active, travel, engage in sports—particularly those who are young in fact or in spirit. Do you walk, run, hike, bike, or boat? Do you climb a ladder or a mountain? Do you ski, or swim, or snorkel, or scuba? Do you fish, hunt, or camp? Do you travel by train? By plane? Car? Motorcycle? If so, AD may be right for you.
AD vs. Travel Accident Insurance
Some people think that AD is like travel accident or flight insurance. It really isn’t. Travel accident customarily pays benefits for accidental death only while you are a passenger on commercial transportation, referred to as “common carriers.” But AD can also cover deaths from falls and falling objects, fires and firearms, choking, suffocating, drowning, common carrier and personal travel—even homicides.
Who is eligible?
Alumni/ae, students, faculty and staff of sponsoring alumni/ae associations, and eligible family members may apply. Each must be at least age 18 but under 75 when applying.* Eligible family members are spouses, domestic partners, parents, children, and siblings. Any of them may apply—even if you do not apply.
*This AD is not available in AK, OR, and UT. Click here for other AD that may be available. (AD is not available in OR.)
How much insurance is available?
|$50,000 – 1,000,000|
|50,000 – 500,000|
|50,000 – 250,000|
How much does AD cost?
Premiums are under 20¢ a day for $100,000 of AD insurance.
Have you ever purchased AD insurance, or even the more restrictive accident insurance? If so, you’d probably agree that premiums for this AD plan are exceptionally competitive. In fact, they may be less than premiums for AD plans available through some other sponsors, such as banks and credit unions.
For premiums for additional amounts, click here
for Select Amounts
|$100,000||$ 5.40||$ 5.40||$ 5.40|
|Premiums as of February 2019|
- Semiannual by check. Semiannual premiums are six times monthly premiums. A fee of $6, subject to change, is added to each bill.
- Monthly automatic withdrawal from your bank (EFT). You do not write checks or worry about paying late. There is no processing fee for this convenience. Click here to download the EFT form.
To continue insurance, premiums must be paid on time. Therefore, monthly automatic withdrawal is recommended.
Other items of note
At no additional cost, benefits will be increased:
- By 10% if death is due to an accident on a “common carrier” (airplane, bus, taxi, train, etc.)**
- By 10% (up to $25,000) if death is due to a car accident and the covered person was properly wearing a seat belt at the time of the accident.**
- By 5% (up to $10,000) if death is due to a car accident and the seat was protected by an air bag and the covered person was properly wearing a seat belt at the time of the accident.**
- By the cost (up to $5,000) of preparing and transporting the deceased’s body to the city of the deceased’s principal residence if death occurs at least 100 miles away.**
Coverage will continue until age 75 if premiums are paid when due, the group policy remains in force and insurance continues for your class.
Like most insurance policies, this one contains exclusions, limitations, and terms for keeping them in force. Complete terms are governed by the group policy #156129, issued by Metropolitan Life Insurance Company, New York, NY 10166 to Collegiate Alumni Trust II. Details of policy provisions are in the Certificate provided to each insured person.
**See Certificate for details
Metropolitan Life Insurance Company (MetLife) and its affiliates offer a full range of insurance and other financial products and services. MetLife offers financial products and services to over 95 of the top 100 FORTUNE 500® companies.1
Meyer and Associates is proud to offer life insurance products underwritten by MetLife, a name alumni can trust. For information on MetLife’s financial strength, click here to leave this site and visit MetLife’s.
1FORTUNE 500(R) is a registered trademark of FORTUNE(R) Magazine, a division of Time, Inc.
This summary of AD highlights its major features. Like most insurance policies, this one contains exclusions, limitations, and terms for keeping them in force. Complete terms are governed by the group policy #156129, issued by Metropolitan Life Insurance Company, New York, NY 10166 to Collegiate Alumni Trust II. Details of policy provisions are in the Certificate provided to each insured person.
L0319512837[exp0321][All States][DC,GU,MP,PR,VI] .
|Current Premiums for Select Amounts|
|1 Month||6 Months||1 Month||6 Months||1 Month||6 Months|
Current as of December 2020.
*Accidental Death insurance is available from $50,000 to $1,000,000 (in $1,000 multiples). The maximum available at age 65 is $500,000, and the maximum at age 70 is $250,000.Rates are subject to change. Rates shown are the monthly and semi-annual premiums.
If you need a quote or an application or simply have questions, call 800-635-7801, or email email@example.com. Trained customer service representatives will be happy to provide the information you need. And naturally you’ll be under no obligation.